DCC Initiative Track

 


So, I've mentioned elsewhere on my blog, for D&D 3.0 (and later for 3.5, and Pathfinder, and D&D 5th Edition, and then Dungeon Crawl Classics) I tried a number of different tracking methods as a DM for initiative, but ultimately my scribbled notes or cue cards behind the screen would end up missing a player, or prompting someone out of order, so I ultimately developed tracking sheets to laminate and lay out in front of the DM screen.

I recently updated my initiative track from 3E/5E to be more DCC specific -- I created boxes for 'loaner dice' so folks in my game who don't have a handy d14 can just grab one off the track.  As well, I added in common charts for combat modifiers, turn undead, and text from the inside of my DM screen for player specific combat maneuvers.

As you can see from a photo of the track in action, I keep it on the player side of my DM screen, and recruit a player to assist in placing magnetic counters (www.aleatools.com) on initiative boxes, and it not only solved laying out visually the turn order, it engaged the players further.  Of course, don't place the monster's initiative until they go for the first time ... keep them guessing to start.

For best use, laminate, put in front of the GM screen, and have at it!  Download the 2 page PDF here.

Enjoy.  If you have any suggestions for tweaking it, email me at archadethered@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment