DCC Worldbuilding - Scribbles and Paragraphs

 



The Land of Aquerria

     The land is dotted with ruins, once a kingdom of the same name, now a shattered and abandoned realm that has survived the encroachment of the armies of Chaos, but all it’s highways and knightly orders are just tales and memories.  To the east lie the Dunstrand Mountains where boggards and grues dwell.  To the north, the twisted and overgrown Arkenwood spans.  To the west, jagged rocks line the coast of the Hungry Sea.
     The folk of Aquerria have for the most part huddled within their towns, keeps and villages and do not know what lies beyond a day or two’s travel from their homes.  The art of reading and writing has all but been forgotten to common folk, wizards and witches have a tenuous understanding of magic, and clerics prostrate themselves to uncaring gods.

The City-State of Anzagort

     A grand rambling city built on either side of the meandering River Elshaveer, with seven bridges guarded by seven stone golems, the City State of Anzagort is ruled by the tyrannical Overlord Belchor Ironfist in name, but the Beggar’s Brotherhood and the their nemeses the White Adepts of Garu-tet the Staring Eye of Night who convene in secret, have turned the city into their own battleground, and there are dark alleys that the Firedrake Guard fear to tread.
     While life is cheap in the dark alleys of The City of Seven Bridges, the Causeway of the Gods offers some meagre hope to those who need it, and dozens of demagogues offer prayers to gods that mortals fear to name – Azetdahak Duke of the Scouring Wind, Shaaleer of the Thousand Eyes, Cademon the Golden Herald, Yddgrrl the World Tree, and more...
     Elves of the Arkenwood and Dwarves of the Dunstrand Mountains sometimes come to Anzagort peddling minor trinkets in the bazaars of the Gibbet Rows, and fine mithral blades for nobles of The Spires who can spare the gold from their purse, and Halflings sometimes come forth from the Undercrofts to walk underfoot amongst men.  These furtive races are often mistrusted and misunderstood.

The Village of Uxcrump

     Two days wagon travel north of Anzagort along a rutted dirt road lies the sodden homes of the villagers of Uxcrump.  The run-down Groaning Well Inn has more than one hole in the roof, and the surly innkeeper serves watered down ale, telling stories about the senile Lord Mayor Milus Ambercroft and the strange cyclopean ruins on Blackvole Hill that once might have been a protective keep but now is a place where wandering children and homeless beggars go missing.  Deacon Balto has suggested that sacrifices at the shrine of Shaaleer of the Thousand Eyes might be the solution, but no one ever listens to him, anyway.

The Wounded Sky

     You know that travelling storytellers talk of the great battles of Law and Chaos, and you know that there are evil things that live in the dark corners of the world, but nothing is more evident of the old battles of eons past than ragged wounds in the sky itself, faintly visible during the day, and starkly visible at night.  Through these tears, you can see alien stars of the sky of Chaos, and sometimes, even a blood red moon staring balefully through the rent.  On nights of the blood moon, sacrificial victims are missing their internal organs, swarms of locusts crawl on the statutes of Garru-Tet, and oracles fear to assay the runestones.  Chaos is still present in the world.

This, and the scribbled map above were my complete ‘gazeteer’ when I started my DCC campaign and ran Sailors of the Starless Sea.  I went completely old school, building out from a single village, and created not a whole world, but a small area for the players to explore.  I treated it more like an excerpt from a paperback S&S novel than an RPG device – write the prose first, figure out what it all means later.

I
 wanted to hit certain pulp sword and sorcery notes with my world, and a fair amount of thought went into this initial plan.

I wanted the big, old, byzantine city where characters could squander their gold, evil could wander dark and crooked alleys, and there was one bastion of civilization, for good or bad.
  I wanted my own Lankhmar, Greyhawk or Sanctuary.  The City-State of Anzagort was my answer to this.  It sounded old, fantastic, and somewhat lawless.  It had every temple, a marketplace where strange things could be bought, and an underworld organization the players could grow to hate, or at least mistrust.

Outside of Anzagort, I scribbled down a few towns and hamlets, but they would be lesser settlements.

I wanted the big Law vs Chaos conflict common to Moorcock’s novels, and I wanted to meet some of the conceits of the DCC rules – elves weren’t the shining ethereal beings of light, scrounging for a chain shirt would be an achievement, and magic is unreliable and patrons fickle – so I wrecked the world.
  The Pathfinder campaign backdrop of Golarion did this and the writers talked about building a world that can you have a landscape littered with dungeons and treasure.  Their solution was to take a world, depopulate it and leave a ruins of a former civilization.  So instead of everyone preparing for the great battle of Law vs. Chaos, it’s happened, and everyone is living in the shattered landscape aftermath.  Aquerria was the name of a shining kingdom of order and civilation, but it’s gone, just an echo, a memory.  Chaos was defeated, but not obliterated, and the world and sky bear scars of the great battle.  I wanted the gods to not be ineffable beings, but fallable and flawed supremely powerful creatures like the King of Swords or Donblas of Law. I wanted patrons to be strange and mysterious, so I named a few in my introductory page that I printed for my players, new to the DCC game – Shaleer of the Thousand Eyes is a god of Law, but doesn’t sounds pristine and someone worshipped by throngs wearing white linen.

I had other ideas as well – I wanted knowledge to be rare, so literacy was less common in the current world, to make magic less understood.
  I wanted a world of disjointed settlements, so independent cities, or if there was a kingdom, it would be a small clutch of towns and the ‘king’ would be a petty ruler. 

I tried to rough out where elves, dwarves, and halflings lived in the world, and what they did in it.  No cute shire-like villages for my halflings, no ethereal elven towers of ivory.  It was definitely a world of mankind, with the non-human races living on the edges, not dominant cultures at all.

L
astly, I wanted strange sounding names for places, people and things.  I wanted Gygaxian, Vancian, Lieberish names.  I wanted monsters that sounded creepy and unknown.  I wanted that feeling we had when we first played D&D, so I stayed away from orcs and goblins, so blackvoles instead of wolves, boggards and grues instead of orcs and trolls, and so on.

On my map, I
 put in a few landmarks or places of note, but they were just names – I hadn’t decided what the people of Peln or Ilvernary were like, or who lived in the Green Tower.  I’d figure that out later.

I
 love world building as a GM/DM/Judge .. it’s one of my favourite things.  With DCC, I fought my impulses and did the absolute bare minimum.  These few paragraphs were enough to evoke a feeling, an atmosphere.  As my players explored the world, I started making up details on the fly, taking notes, and expanding my ‘gazeteer’ but this was the origin of my campaign world of Aquerria …

N
ext article will be my Gazetteer thus far, and a far more polished map…


No comments:

Post a Comment