Hero System Combat Track



So, for D&D 3.0 (and later for 3.5, and Pathfinder, and D&D 5th Edition, and then Dungeon Crawl Classics) I tried a number of different tracking methods as a DM for initiative, but ultimately my scribbled notes or cue cards behind the screen would end up missing a player, or prompting someone out of order, so I ultimately developed tracking sheets to laminate and lay out in front of the DM screen.

Using this track, I often recruited a player to assist in placing magnetic counters (www.aleatools.com) on initiative segments, and it not only solved laying out visually the turn order, it engaged the players further.

When I took a side track into the Hero System for running a Star Wars game, I took the same concept and copied it over, as tracking segments for each player and foe is equally difficult – the concept translated over very well.

As I didn’t need an initiative range of 25 to -5, only 1 to 12, it left me some extra space, so I put common charts useful to players at the bottom.

The execution is the same – laminate, put in front of the GM screen, and have at it!  Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I like! Using for my new campaign tomorrow. Thanks!
    Q - any way to fit in the +/- 1d6 Knockback chart? More useful than Hit Location in Superheroic games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestion! I bet I can fit in the KB chart somewhere in there ... I will do it next time I print it for a Hero session!

    ReplyDelete