Aquerria Gazetteer - Hexing It Up Like Greyhawk

So, my campaign world has progressed and evolved from it’s original scribbles and paragraphs, and questions from my players and myself have come up, allowing me to answer them, and give my world life.  Without spoiling things should my players see this, here’s a few that have helped add colour to the backdrop they adventure in:

Q
: When was the great war between Law and Chaos?
A
: I haven’t exactly decided, but more than a century ago for sure.

Q: Why is there a Green Tower and Grey Tower?
A
: I decided the wizards used to have a chantry called Talencourt, not exactly a school, but a place of learning with noble houses vying for influence and knowledge when they sent their young scions away to learn, and non-noble apprentices would have pledged themselves to those noble houses.  The Green Tower and Grey Tower are what remains of descendants of two of the houses that survived.

Q: Is there a dwarven kingdom?
A: There used to be -- Threegate.  But now it's overrun by monsters.

Q: How many cities are there?
A: Just the one, the City-State of Anzagort.  Everything else is a town, village, or hamlet.

Q: Are there any other kingdoms in your world?
A
: Some, there’s the Old Kingdom, which had Peln as the capital, but it’s fallen into disarray.  There was a blank space on my map, so I put Gemelaw, a fierce land where even women and children all know how to use a sword, where all contracts are signed in blood, where voices are raised in fierce song.  And far to the east, off the map is the Elmushir Empire ruled by merchant-princes, and a great kingdom of dwarves in the Dunstrand mountains.

Q: Got a better map of your campaign world?
A
: Well, my friend made me a very pretty map, but I kept adding to it as I seeded adventures, ruins, and other details, so I decided to play with Hexographer – wow.  What a great tool.  And since I can make items ‘GM Only’ to print a map for me or a map for them, it was a lot of fun.  Bonus points for it looking very Greyhawk-ish with the coloured hexes.  I changed my scale to 1 hex = 5 miles, and was able to underlay my map and block it out.  And since it left all sorts of blank spaces, it inspired me to add yet more details – dungeons, geography, rivers, lakes, etc.  I’m really pleased with how it turned out.

I’ll keep adding to it and sharing gazetteer articles to share bits about my world as I flesh it out.


Got questions?  Drop me a note at archadethered@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment